Saturday, June 8, 2013

Now You See Me isn't Just Some Magic Trick

It's taken me a bit longer than I thought to write this review because I wanted to see the movie one more time before I wrote about it. I really wanted to digest everything I saw because there was a lot to take in.

I first saw the trailer for Now You See Me at the screening for The Great Gatsby. The trailer intrigued me. The movie looked like a fun summer movie with a really impressive cast. (I've been wanting to see Melanie Laurent, from Inglorious Basterds, in something else since that film.) So I was excited for the film because I always like in the summer when the movies are more entertaining than serious melodramas vying for an Oscar. 

I asked to go see the movie when my family was taking me out for a belated birthday dinner. I was nervous about everyone was going to like it and how good Now You See Me was going to be, especially because my dad really wanted to see Star Trek: Into Darkness, which I knew for a fact is a really good movie. So I went into the theater anxiously waiting for the movie to start praying it would be, at the least, an entertaining film.

I have to say this movie really exceeded by expectations. I was so pleasantly surprised by this film. The story revolves around four magicians known as The Four Horsemen who keep pulling off elaborate heists as the FBI and Interpol try to catch them. The film is full of twists and turns and magic and Mark Ruffalo as the stumbling FBI agent and Melanie Laurent as the Interpol agent are the center of the story.  The cast is incredible. Laurent shines as the agent trying to figure out what The Horsemen are trying to pull off but also enamored by their magic tricks and with magic itself. I absolutely love Mark Ruffalo, he personally made me love the Hulk again. Ruffalo shows his depth as the absolutely overwhelmed but tenacious agent. As for The Four Horsemen, everyone was just magnificent. Each Horsemen has their own specialty, Jack Wilder, played by Dave Franco, is a master of slight of hand (and pickpocketing). Franco certainly has had an interesting career, with credits such as the last season of Scrubs, which as terrible as the season was, Franco was very good in, and 21 Jumpstreet, which again he proves that he is funny and talented. In Now You See Me, Franco proves that he be more than comic relief. Though he does get as much screen time as the other characters, he really left me wanting to see more of him and in my opinion, proved why he is the better brother in this film. Woody Harrelson is just a charming and funny as ever as Merritt McKinney, the "mentalist", and the film's comic relief. I have always been a fan of Jesse Eisenberg, Zombieland is one of my favorite movies, and even though the character is reminiscent of his role as Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network, I liked the role nonetheless. Eisenberg plays Daniel Atlas, the incredibly talented street performer, as well as the sort-of group leader. Atlas' one-time assistant, Henley Reeves, played by Isla Fischer, rounds out the group as the magician who pulls off life-risking tricks. Fischer is charismatic and proves that she just because she wasn't born and raised in America doesn't mean she can't pull of the accent. I think this is Fischer's time. She is incredibly talented and I have always liked her roles. I know that Confessions of a Shopaholic isn't exactly cinema gold but she has been in successes such as Wedding Crashers, Rango, The Great Gatsby, and the newest season of Arrested Development

Of course the film also features legends Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine. Freeman plays Thaddeus Bradley, a former magician who reveals how magicians do their tricks and Caine plays The Four Horsemen's sponsor, Arthur Tressler. The two are as perfect as always in their roles and as much I love Freeman, it was fun to hate his character as Thaddeus tried to reveal the Horsemen's end goal.

Like I said earlier, I was pleasantly surprised by this film because it was more than entertaining, it was also clever and the twists and turns were fresh. It is very hard to surprise me because I have seen it all and movies, regardless of how well-written or clever they are, usually have the same ending. This movie REALLY surprised me and I loved it. I mean when you think back it's so obvious because the theme of the film, "The closer you look, the less you see" really reveals a lot but of course you do exactly what the film wants and looks extremely close. 

Now You See Me wasn't perfect of course, the forced romance between Ruffalo and Laurent was uncomfortable and unnecessary and I wish the film was centered a little more around The Four Horsemen and not the chance after them, but it is understandable because there is supposed to be an element of mystery, nonetheless, I wouldn't have minded more scenes with The Horsemen. The ending is also a little quick because the film felt it necessary to end on the romance instead of going more in depth to what The Four Horsemen were doing, which again might be because the filmakers wanted to keep an element of surprise but I would have enjoyed an ending that wasn't centered on the incredibly fake and forced romance. However, this film is not for those who like to multitask or be on their phone while watching because it is focused around paying attention and looking for any possible clue as to what is actually going on and that is so refreshing because movies now expect you to only be paying half attention so their plots are watered down versions that can be easily followed if the viewer starts paying attention half way through.

This film is definitely on my list of recommendations to go see because not only is it fun, entertaining, and a good summer movie, it is also an incredible ride and highly impressive for a movie in its summer slot. I would give the movie a seven and a half out of ten. It is so well done for a movie I thought was just going to be okay. I am so thrilled that it turned out to exceed all of my expectations and was a film based on wit and actually, you know, watching the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment